Monday 30 May 2011

#27

As I was waiting at the tram stop yesterday, a balloon, buffeted by the wind, found its way into the middle of the road. The light was red. I watched horrified, fascinated, but helpless in its plight.

The lights turned green. As the motors roared, it shifted about half a metre, until it was directly in line with the approaching tyre of a blue Holden sedan. Years from now, I will relive that scene, and wonder whether I could have saved a life by calling out a warning. But hindsight is always 20/20.

The whole world went into slow motion. I saw it before it happened. And, for a brief, happy moment, I thought that the car might be buoyed up and pass over, leaving the balloon unharmed. But both logic and gravity have neither hearts nor sympathy.

Like a male widow spider, it popped and perished.

No comments:

Post a Comment